Monday, July 24, 2006

Response to readings for 25 July

"Seventeen Syllables": I think the story follows a romantic narrative. Rosie is obviously falling for Jesus but they're young and she doesn't know what to do about it. Then there's the whole second plot of how her mom didn't marry for true love and now she's trapped and stifled and all of that so she doesn't want her daughter to get married and end up like her. I think the thing that's different about this, at least when I read it, is that at the end, it seems to me that the whole time Rosie just wants some kind of love but she doesn't get it from her parents and now her parent wants to take away the prospect of Jesus's love. I think this text is interesting because of the way culture and class play into it. And because of the different characters' conflicting ideas of love. Rosie's mom turned romantic love into something bad because her experiences made it impossible for her not to. For Rosie, it's still something new and exciting and confusing, and I don't think her parents are helping to clear anything up.
"Men in Your Life": This piece is pretty funny. I think it plays into the traditional romantic narratives of loving somebody for who they are and for who you are when you're together instead of because of how they look on paper. I guess the interesting part of this story for me is how gossip-centered it seems and it reminds me of this "Would you rather" questions that asked if you'd rather sleep with somebody famous but not be able to tell anyone about it or be able to tell everyone you slept with somebody famous and have them believe you but never actually do it. I don't know if that made sense. Anyways... I guess this isn't really like that but I thought it was funny because she doesn't even mention Eddie for a while and it's almost like her thoughts only come out because she's telling them to somebody else, but they've obviously been there if she and Eddie talked about getting married. It reminds me a little bit of "Hitch" too because she likes Eddie for his little eccentricities even though he isn't the obvious choice to the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home