Saturday, July 22, 2006

Movie blog

I have to do this one now because I'm positive I won't be the only one who picks it.... I'm not a huge fan of romantic movies, but last semester "The Notebook" was on TV every two hours or so during finals week so every break that we got, my roommate and I watched it and I ended up really liking it. I'm guess most of you know what happens in the movie. It's the story of a couple that meets during a summer (I think) and the girl is wealthy and the boy isn't and they're in love but then her parents make her move away and he tries to write to her but her mom steals the letters so they don't talk for a really long time and she ends up being engaged to this other guy but then she sees this article about how the other guy built the house she told him she wanted so she goes to visit him and they fall for each other again and stuff and they end up together. But the underlying narrative in the movie is this old guy in a nursing home or something reading the story of these two kids to a woman who has Alzheimers or something and it ends up that they are the two kids in the story and she had written it for him to read to her so she would remember their story. I think the reason I like the movie, aside from the fact that the whole Alzheimers thing is pretty creative, is because they don't pretend like their relationship is perfect. My favorite scene is when he's trying to convince her to stay with him and it goes something like this:
Noah: You're bored! You're bored and you know it! You wouldn't be here if there weren't something missing.
Allie: You arrogant son of a bitch!
Noah: Would you just stay with me?
Allie: Stay with you? What for? Look at us, we are already fighting.
Noah: Well that's what we do. We fight. You tell me when I'm being an arrogant son of a bitch and I tell you when you are being a pain in the ass. Which you are 99% of the time. I'm not afraid to hurt your feelings. You have like a two second rebound rate and you're back to doing the next pain in the ass thing.
Allie: So what.
Noah: So it's not going to be easy. It's going to be really hard. And we're going to have to work at this every day. But I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, every day.
I like it because it's more realistic than the romance shows that make you think love is nothing but happiness all of the time. In fact, I guess he says it's a pain in the ass 99% of the time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home