Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Response to reading for 20 July

So there was a lot to choose from in here, huh? I guess I'll just throw a couple out there.
One passage that gets to me is when Sula comes back and Nel recognizes that, "Talking to Sula had always been a conversation with herself." I think this stuck out to me especially because of our discussion in class about how Sula isn't even really a character until she's described in terms of her friendship with Nel. I guess I've seen them as two part of one person... kind of like the Usher twins in Poe's short story. They aren't really whole when they aren't together. This is really driven home for me when Nel can't function after Jude leaves, but at the end of the story, she realizes that it's Sula that she missed all along.
Then, another passage that sticks out is when Sula says to Nel, "Yes. But my lonely is mine. Now your lonely is somebody else's. Made by somebody else and handed to you. Ain't that something? A secondhand lonely." I still don't really know how to approach Sula. I see her and Nel as inseparable, really, like Eva does I guess. So when Sula describes the differences in their lonelinesses, I think that they're really both missing the same thing - each other... and themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home